Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Our Lady of Mount Carmel

 






Our Lady of Mount Carmel is the patroness of the Carmelite Order. One of the important saints of the Carmelite order is Saint Simon Stock.  

Simon Stock was born in England.  He became a hermit and allegedly lived inside a hollow tree. He joined the Carmelite Order when he visited the Holy Land. When he returned to Europe, he founded many Carmelite Orders. On July 16, 1251, at Cambridge, England, the Virgin Mary appeared to Simon Stock and gave him a scapular. This scapular was meant to represent Mary's own garment. Anybody who wore it would receive her special protection. These are Mary's words to Saint Simon Stock:

"Receive, my beloved son, this scapular of thy Order; it is the special sign of my favor, which I have obtained for thee and for thy children of Mount Carmel. He who dies clothed with this habit shall be preserved from eternal fire. It is the badge of salvation, a shield in time of danger, and a pledge of special peace and protection."

As a result of this special visitation by Mary, Simon Stock was canonized as a saint.

The Feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel is July 16th. We honor her with prayer and penance on that day.

Flos Carmeli (The Flower of Carmel)

O most beautiful flower of Mount Carmel, fruitful vine, splendor of Heaven, Blessed Mother of the Son of God, Immaculate Virgin, assist me in this my necessity. O Star of the Sea, help me and show me herein that you are my Mother.

O Holy Mary, Mother of God, Queen of Heaven and earth, I humbly beseech you from the bottom of my heart to succor me in this my necessity. There are none that can withstand your power. O show me herein that you are my Mother.

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us that have recourse to thee. (Repeat three times.)

Sweet Mother, I place this cause in your hands. (Repeat three times.)

Amen.

Dawn Pisturino
July 13, 2021

Copyright 2021 Dawn Pisturino. All Rights Reserved.





No comments:

Post a Comment